Monday, May 29, 2006

Law # 2 ~ Consistency

Improvement and change occur when you do things often. Stopping and starting all the time will kill any momentum you need to succeed. You must find ways to stay in the game. Moderate forms of exercise done consistently provide far better results than the occasional full-body pummeling. A lifestyle that includes multiple forms of exercise five to six days a week guarantees results.

There are certain things that rise to the surface when it comes to staying consistent. One of them is staying motivated. How does anyone sustain anything without motivation? You bought one of my programs because you’re committed to making huge changes in your life. Being consistent is critical. Sustaining it and staying motivated at times can be difficult. It’s easy to create reasons not to do Power90, especially when you’re feeling weak and puny, and my jokes aren’t funny anymore. We travel, get sick, tired, and often get discouraged. We work too hard, we under-sleep, and get stressed out. So what do we do about it? It can be overwhelming. What about the people who don’t quit? Who are they? Are they super android robots from a galaxy far far away? What the hell makes them so special? Why are these robot-people consistent and others not? The answer is that successful, consistent, and motivated folk have tricks…Aha! They have found a way to do it anyway.

Here’s my list of tricks that will help you stay motivated and consistent.

1. Stop beating yourself up if you can’t sustain and/or maintain your “perfect” plan. It’s okay to miss a workout once in a while. It doesn’t mean that your process has gone to hell in a handcart. It doesn’t mean you have to start over. Life happens. Priorities shift. So what? Big deal. Just start up where you left off. If you’re doing Power 90 or P90X, just add the missed days to the back end. I decree the burden lifted! Of course you must recognize the difference between a missed workout or two and a missed week or two. If you miss two weeks of exercise, it will take at least that long to get back where you left off. If you miss one workout once in a while you lose nothing. The extra day off can even do the body good.

2. Don’t freak out if you don’t see results in the first 45 days. “What?! No results in the first month and a half?!” See, I knew you’d freak out. The reality is that we all have different starting points. The 90 in Power90 and P90X stands for 90 days, not 90 minutes. Some folks will see results the first week—bastards! Others will have to wait a little longer, based on age, body weight, how out of shape they are when they start the program, flexibility, balance, athletic background, etc.—this is normal. The variety of workouts in P90X purposely plays into your strengths and weaknesses. Both programs were created to have a 30-to-50-day “adaptive phase.” This phase is shorter for some and longer for others. Be patient. Your body will adapt, and you will be amazed at how you look and feel.

3. On your most exhausted, overwhelmed, and lackluster days—Push Play anyway. Except if you’re sick or hurt. Be fully committed to having a lousy workout, and have that be just fine. A lackluster workout is always better than no workout at all. Movement is good—even when you’re feeling puny and weak. Get off the couch and MOVE! The truth is, if you get up and do something—even if it’s not your best, it’s impossible to feel bad when you’re done. Sometimes you have to FORGET YOUR BEST AND DO THE REST.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony,

Amen! I can always count on you to be honest, realistic and so motivating!

You Rock! I am currently doing Turbo but, am going to take a run at P90 in July. I would love to be able to join you for a workout on muscle beach once I achieve my Beach body :o) I have already lost 28 lbs and 23 1/2 inches with Turbo. I am moving on to P90 to shake things up even more.

Just wanted to say thanks for this post.

You da man Tony :o)

Buddabelliedmomof2

*if you love a rainbow, you gotta put up with a bit of rain*

*Wanna Be ~ in the OC*

psalm9567 said...

I love how you tell us to just listen to our bodies! I was on day 22 of the X, when I came down with some nasty food poisoning last night. So, today is a rest day, with water intake at a high and fiber at a low. I am going to add those missed days to the end, and start my recovery week over tomorrow.

No beating myself up, no worries about sticking to the 90 day plan. Just taking care of myself and doing it when I'm healthy. Tomorrow might be a half-yoga day rather than a full 90 minutes, but I love the freedom in that. Not being "chained" to the workout schedule gives me the flexability that I need from a workout regimen.

And hey, thanks for answering my food question. I have added in the right carbs and life is good. Whole grain toast with pure strawberry jam. Yummy!

Have a great week, Tony! Oh, and the NY camp is out for me. I was so looking forward to it, but the timing is off for our family. We are considering CA or Chi-town instead....

At any rate, see you later!

Sarah/Psalm9567

Anonymous said...

Wow I cannot believe I missed another Tony chat. I guess I'm not on chat as much as I used to be which is probably a good thing. I cannot believe it is already June either! What hotel is the LA camp going to be at? I've got Cancun booked for November, Denver booked for October but I don't have LA booked for August. What is up with that?