Sunday, June 12, 2005

Fight or Flight

I sometimes suffer from what I call the "fight or flight" syndrome with some of my workouts. When everything is perfectly lined up, I'm fine. It means the weather is perfect. I'm meeting buddies at a specified time. I've had plenty of sleep the night before. My energy and willingness is high. Under these conditions I never miss a workout. But sometimes when the stars are not lined up properly, all I want to do is find a good reason to flee from exercise.

Today was one of those days. I awake to a dreary gray morning after a night of restless sleep knowing that 6 out of 9 workout buddies are away for the weekend. Everything was saying..."blow it off!" Should I fight or flee? I just hate when that thought meanders inside my head. I layed in bed and thought about how much crap I'd get from the three guys who were showing up. I kept telling myself to go through the
routine of getting ready. Before I knew it, I was dressed and fed and ready to go to the beach a do the workout.

About 20% to 60% of the time, flight wins out under these kinds of adverse conditions. Fight or flight sydrome hits me once or twice a week. So, 2 out of 6 workouts a week are in jeopardy. This is why people who pre-schedule only 3 workouts a week have a very hard time seeing results. Most people suffer from fight or flight once in awhile. If you schedule 6 workouts a week your less likely to ruin the big plan.

I've been working on this crazy exercise called a swing handstand for almost 2 years. Today is the first time I nailed it. I felt like I won the lottery. And to think I was so close to blowing it all off. Fight or flight...whatcha gonna do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony, it is really refreshing to see that you also go through the same mind chatter we all have. It is great that you get up and don't listen to it. Thanks for keeping it real. I will fight!

Anonymous said...

fight, definitely fight! now that I've said it, I gotta do it. see you tomorrow morning on my tv, Tony